2023 Registration Now Open!
HERBalachia offers a unique education through teaching local plant identity, world herbal traditions, sustainable harvesting practices, medicine making, and an overall inward journey of the self. This program is designed for:
- Beginning herbal students
- Health care practitioners
- Healthy lifestylers
- Nature lovers seeking their Plant Tribe
By “studying herbs”, we don’t mean watching a video!
Despite the rush to online classes, we believe the most effective herbal studies occur in person, hands-on, and in nature. Our students learn through:
- Herb walks and field trips (local forests, creeks, fields)
- Lecture, demo & discussion by local enthusiastic specialists
- Communion with Nature, personal experiences outdoors
- Supervised harvesting: ethical, reciprocal, and in gratitude
- Hands-on medicine preparations in class
- Take-home medicine samples and assignments
- Community building and sharing experiences
My heart and my Head are full of love for plants,
for these teachers and for this wonderful journey. Aho!
Read about our all-star faculty, which includes Master’s degree herbalists, botany professor, Ayurvedic practitioner, native American medicine woman, mushroom and herbal propagation experts, among others.
Although, we all came in with varying degrees of knowledge (understanding) of the topics,
there was no shortage of help with those that may have needed assistance.
—Henry Layne Jr.
2023 Herbalist Lifestyle Program Schedule
2023 Registration Now Open!
WEEKENDS: Sat/ Sun
April 15, 16
Aug 12, 13
Approximately 3-4 hours per week of home projects and reading is required in addition to class hours.
Blackberry Blossom Campground
250 Blackberry Blossom Land
Unicoi, TN 37692
If you would like to spend the weekend at Blackberry Blossom Campground, make your reservations now! Tent camping, cute travel campers, and a luxurious AirBnB suite are available.
When necessary, we adapt our program to follow strict CDC guidelines and our ‘COVID pivots’ have been given rave reviews by students. While occasionally inconvenient, we are committed to doing whatever it takes to SAFELY enjoy our time together.
How do I register?
Complete your online application and pay full tuition OR $650 deposit.
HERBalachia Director Michelle Bouton will contact you for a brief student interview and to set up payments.
- Your $650 deposit will save your spot for the 2023 program
- Full tuition is due by March 31, 2023
Deposit is non-refundable, and no refunds will be made after the first day of class.
Please budget an additional $200 for books and class supplies.
For questions, please contact Michelle Bouton: Michelle@HERBalachia.com
Goals of HERBalachia:
- connect herbalists, growers, and educators
- promote safe herb usage through training responsible and compassionate community herbalists
- be a repository of Appalachian herbal knowledge, traditions, and seeds
- build confidence in the medical community of the contribution herbalists can make to patient health
- create opportunity for local experts to teach and share their knowledge
- instill stewardship of at-risk species and sustainability of foraging practices